United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
This is exactly what they're attempting to cover up. It's disappointing but they're afraid to go their own way on with building a lighter car and minimal power increases. The ZF definitely covers up the higher boost more.
If BMW built a lighter car with modest power improvements, people still wouldn't be happy. The company is in a lose/lose situation when it comes to the smaller, forum-based enthusiast group. If the car was lighter with a modest increase in power, people would complain about how the Mercedes or [insert other manufacturer here] is producing a car with a serious horsepower advantage despite being heavier. People will always find something to complain about.
Right, people disagree on the controversial styling or the lack of a MT with AWD or that it doesn't have a 48V hybrid system yet. There are always various reasons as you mentioned but isolating us "forum members" for never being happy, while true to an extent, does a disservice to the fact that M decides to put an automatic in a car that shouldn't have it. It's not a power problem as we see with the M5/M8 (that needs the ZF since it would probably fry the clutches much sooner than with a DCT), it's more of a budgeting issue. They can use the same transmission across the board that doesn't require significant investment, i.e. only minor software updating which is a much lower barrier to entry than the standalone ZF. The other aspect is that it probably saves 1-2% on emissions/gas mileage vs the DCT, which continues the bastardization of the driving experience.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 1
pbar1400.00