kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola3 View Post
I get that BMW would do it to save money by making the car more reliable. And you really think the M3/4 is considered BMWs Halo Car?
I'm sorry, but have you owned older Ms before?

The whole M division(for street) was founded on E30 M3. The car is undoubtedly a historic halo car of the BMW M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola3 View Post
"I am all supportive of BMW selling grocery getters but they should never bear the M badge." Isn't the whole point of an M car that you can spend a day at the track and stop at the grocery store on the way home?
Not just a day doodling around thinking oh, I've tracked my car now. M3 should be able to track "all day" without overheating and post impressive lap times.

I don't have a direct experience with DCT but my friends who track them with E9x/F8x platform rarely reports any issue with the transmission. I myself run 6MT and this platform by far has been the most reliable.
The ZF in M235i on the other hand had several issues (rod bearing failure due to oil starvation, transmission getting too hot refusing to shift) when tracked.

People often mention M235i racing transmission as comparison but that one has the torque converter removed in order to save weight so it is not the same transmission the street version gets.
Also note that M240i racing is now being replaced by M2 CS racing. If the transmission was so good and "reliable" we'd see more of them racing but they just are not.