Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf3000 View Post
Hello,

I read some comments about plugin hybrid and they made me wonder about the ICE status if only electric is used.

I’m able to do my daily conmute on electric only so after 1.5 months i see i have just done 2 trips where I had to use gas for a few kilometers. My gas tank is almost full.

Do you think the combustion engine might suffer in the future if it has very little seldom usage? I was thinking of making like 1-2 kms daily on sport with some speeding so the engine turned on and got some RPMs, it’s telling me it’s like 0.2 l/100km so no real waste but a least the engine turns on for a while everyday.

Your thoughts? Thanks!
Personally I would give the engine a regular use...just enough to get it well warmed up so the oil is allowed to do it's job properly. Petrol does go off over time - no idea how long it takes with modern fuel but probably years rather than months - and causes deposits and crud to build up in the fuel system.

As an aside, maybe worth thinking about running the petrol tank down to say quarter full - a full tank is a lot of weight to lug around and partially negates the benefit of using electric.
Appreciate 0