Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
OMG, really??
Let's go back to normal keys then where you have to press the button. Same thing, you have to take it out off your pocket or purse.
Why do you need to be that close to the door handle???
It's good idea as long as you can do it like with the keys we have now!!!
This is the backup/emergency key to use in the event your phone is dead/broken/lost/etc. Its thin (about half the thickness of a Centurion card so it can remain in a wallet until needed. Just like the Digital Key on the phone, it has to come into close proximity to the handle and be placed in the ignition NFC reader to release the starter. This prevents cloning or fob signal boosting.
I always wonder how well nfc prevents the signal from being read from a distance with a strong enough directional antenna. It's possible to communicate with the voyager space craft from earth and I've seen hacks that can read a wireless signal from a distance even when outside the signal range.
It's near impossible without getting in between the access unit and the car (4cm max range). Then there's several layers of security to authentic including Facial Recognition/fingerprint, and one way, non reversible authentication token that has to match the digital signature which is also changes with each completed cycle. Add to that, the door and ignition have separate tokens as well.
Probably easier to hack the comfort access all you need is a wire with one end near the key fob and the other end near the door.
Appreciate 0