View Single Post
      11-07-2023, 11:46 AM   #159
JayDeeJay
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie68 View Post
The software update did work for me. Installed onto phone. Then I turned on car and I got prompt to install via center screen. I am sure having phone paired to BMW correctly is important. Driving around did not end up being necessary. Just having engine on was sufficient. Then next day I got prompt from car to install software. Many conditions must be met before it will start but all are laid out on screen. Flash took. However it did wipe out my prior program for variable light distribution so will need to redo that.

I can say I am a electrical engineer who works as an automotive systems engineer (not BMW) and have experience with remote flashing. Remote flash is a complicated process (not just onboard but also backend servers and connectivity) which typically has many criteria that must be met throughtout remote flash process. It is difficult to make a real robust process (excluding Tesla). Many of these choices on initial conditions are made by OEM to avoid bricking the control module.

I can speak from my engineering experience the success rate of remote flashing in campaigns like this are not typically not very high (< 50%). Also it appears the campaign to correct accidental battery discharge does not necessarily warrant people going out of their way to get update installed. Definitely not worth wasting your own valuable time trying to resolve if it fails. Makes more sense just to live with current version of software. I know this seems wrong since you paid so much for your car.
What is remote flash?
Appreciate 0