View Single Post
      10-19-2020, 08:10 PM   #5
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf44 View Post
Yes, I know the general wisdom is not in favor of this coverage. I have been against it on all of my prior vehicles. But, you know what, my last car had 9 (yes NINE) cracked rims, and just as many bubbled run flat tires. NYC roads are rough, and don't like low profile 19" run flat tires.

The suggestion to use go-flat tires doesn't work for me; I'm not putting a spare in the trunk of the G20 (which eats up trunk volume) and a fix a flat kit is not going to help me when I get sidewall damage or a cracked or bent rim.

I'm still on the fence about getting coverage for this car but, frankly, I don't see NYC roads getting better in the near future, with the city and state seeing budget deficits. This is why I'm looking for some experience for those who have purchased or negotiated this coverage. I'd like to have an idea of what a reasonable price is for the coverage; only then can I balance if it's worth it or not. The decision on whether to opt for it in the first place is a different discussion.
I live in the NYC area and had the tire insurance coverage. I get your pain, I've felt it driving to work, but I would never get run flats on my next car. The reason bubbles occur is because of the firmness of that sidewall.

I can't justify spending 60K on a car and then $2,000 for tire insurance just because the dealership tells me to. If I were to lose trunk space, so be it, but it's worth not having to deal with the nonsense with all the flat tires caused by the NJ Turnpike. Is it our fault that corporate made the stupid decision to outfit performance sedans with run flat tires? Why should we have to bear the cost of that decision? Get go flats with 18's, that's your best bet. Since you live in NY you have to make some sacrifices .
Appreciate 0