View Single Post
      04-25-2019, 12:15 AM   #16
bimmer21k
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
Insurance is meant to protect you from catastrophic losses. If you’re going to go bankrupt replacing a $250 tire then buying a $60k car is probably not the best decision.

I lived in Seattle, also went on many weekend trips in the area and never got a flat. In the 14 years I have had a drivers license, I had 2 flats both on run flat tires on my E90. I have never bent a rim and most of those 14 years were in the NY NJ area on pothole covered tarmac. All of my cars have had the larger wheel options with low profile tires.

I do believe the run flats are more prone to flats, but the latest generation of run flats are way improved over what I had in my E90. My G30 has run flats and in daily driving I can’t really tell. If I push the car in the canyons then it’s obvious they are run flats because the transitions are not gradual. All of a sudden you feel the weight of the car shift towards the sidewall. On non-rft, that transition is more gradual and you can better anticipate it.

Anyway, more info than you asked for, but I think the run flats are okay for daily and you should skip the insurance. Even if they offered it to you for half price, at $900 you’d need to replace 2 wheels in order for it to pay off and that’s just not likely
Thanks for your perspective
Appreciate 0