01-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #57
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Lets talk olive oil, as it is the foundation of all good food, imho. seriously.

I suppose I take for granted where I live and the availability of high quality products as well as family/friends in Italy.

So for all, Olive oil is a product just like many others, there are good and then so so, and you should understand what the grades are.

Extra Virgin - for eating, drinking cooking, its all that I use. It is the first pressing of the olives

Virgin - second pressing of the olives.

Pure - third pressing of those same olives!

anything after pure is likely not 100% olive oil, there is no 'light' olive oil in reality.

so then you want to focus on Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and like many things, there is a very wide variety and price points, but trust me, like with everything, you get what you pay for.

Olive oil is green, it has to be if its from green olives! if it doesn't have a green tint well that tells you the quality.
However, many people many not appreciate this and think that buying a bottle of oil for a few $$ is all the same..no, olive oil is pricy when you buy high quality and rightly so as its the foundation for all that you eat when you cook and want to eat great food. I often have family friends send me by the gallon fresh pressed oil from Sicily. Now I know that is not possible for most, so I have a great option from a grower that has expanded globally.

If you would like to experience that taste which you are looking for, I may suggest you look up this company and order from them. I suggest you adopt a tree and get the full package. It will change your life.
So I ordered a bottle at the end of December, which arrived today. I was a little surprised to see an expiration date of May 30. Usually EVOO has a shelf life of over a year, so I wrote in to inquire why it is such a short life. Waiting to hear back.

I’m sure we can use it before then but will be disappointed if they sent me an old bottle that has been sitting around rather than something fresh. Have you ever noticed short expiration dates when you get a new bottle?