SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Forgive the newbie question, but if the updates are never downloaded because we /I dont want to fork out $250 a pop, what am i missing out on apart from map updates?
The updates should be a free service.
The updates provide various enhancements to the operation of your car.

The updates should download to your phone, and then upload to your car. Once uploaded, the car should request that you install the update to the car.

In my case, I seem to have an issue with how my car is recognizing my iPhone. It should recognize it as a phone with both wifi and Bluetooth connections. Unfortunately, my car is splitting the the wifi and Bluetooth on to two variations of my phone (with slightly different names).
I have called the BMW “Genius” at the dealership and will arrange to meet with him to sort out the issue.
In my case, I cannot delete both variants of my phone (I can delete one, but not the other), so that I can reinstall the iPhone properly.
Apparently, this is not an isolated incident.

I will get back to Adelaide in a couple of weeks (currently in EB) and meet with the “Genius”. I’ll let you know how I get on.