Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsltAnalyst View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
What's the advantage for the end user?
The advantages of platform/drivetrain sharing come from economies for scale. Some obvious pros are:

Keeps the cost down for both the manufacturer and the end user.
R&D learned from higher end models trickle down faster
You essentially get more bang for the buck in lower priced models. For example, I believe same DCT and rear diff is used in both M5 and M3, so when you buy an M3, at least in paper, you are getting over engineered components.
Better parts availability when it is time for service
Engine/gearbox tuning and upgrade costs will be lower
etc.

Some cons of sharing:
Defects will have a ripple effect
Smaller cars that share the same platform might end up becoming heavier than competition
Your car may not feel "special" or whatever that means

Anyway, no matter what, new M3 going to be better in every measurable way. Heck, I don't mind if they simply just drop in the new M5's AWD V8 drivetrain and just call it a day. But it looks like it'll share the engine with the X3M so most likely it will have an option for AWD.
If 911 can have AWD, M3 should have an optional AWD too, even if it rustles the jimmies of so called purists.
Very speculative post. I do believe you have not own an M and the F80 is your first M. M stands for exclusivity. Owners aren't looking to share interiors, engines, suspension components, chassis etc with other platforms. None of the previous E90 owners that I know currently own F80/F82. This new parts bin concept has work for BMW to expand its market share to new customers but has loyal the most sacred thing a brand can have: Customer Loyalty