12-03-2018, 11:16 PM   #147
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I'm sure the techies of this forum can correct me if I'm wrong but classic automatics have torque converters that transmits engine power to the wheels through a process called fluid coupling, the so called "slushboxes."

DCT's (or sequential transmissions and their equivalents), on the other hand, don't use fluid coupling, rather they connect through actual gears and clutch, and the shifting of these gears are done automatically by computers that automate the manual shifting process.

So the DCT is more a variation of the manual gearbox than a slushbox auto.
Actually by that definition they are all manuals...... most modern sport autos fully lockup as soon as the car is reasonably in motion... I think the m5 does it before the wheels make a full turn. The big variance nowadays is what is used to "slip" from a standing start and between gear changes. A dct uses slipping clutches similar to a manual (except there are two of them), MB uses a wet clutch system, torque converter autos use fluid coupling. But once locked up they are all the same... direct connection between the motor and transmission

The only real manuals are where the driver has direct control over the mechanical linkages vs electronic actuators run by a computer
Appreciate 0