View Single Post
      01-16-2023, 11:50 AM   #47
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
In addition to infrastructure issues for EV adoption, I'll say it again. Until there is a standard pushed down to all EV manufacturers as to charging/electrical and battery interfaces, this is going to be an uphill battle. Why ICE works so well is the fact that fuels are standardized. I can fill up my POS daily beater with the same fuel that will also power a McLaren 720. Also, the container namely the fuel tank won't typically degrade over time as a battery would.

Another analogy would be electrical appliances used in a home. The electrical standard has been set to be 120V 60Hz. All manufacturers since this became a standard to future products are designed to operate under this power standard. Same with how these products plug into the wall outlet. NEMA 5-15.

With the current state of EV development, it's one big cluster F, free for all with no specific oversight on channeling development into one common industry standard.
Quite a few of those standards were created by industry groups such as SAE. Others came about as a result of government involvement, either in the form of legislation requiring certain items or through specific regulations. It is a fair question to ask why none of those entities are stepping forward in the EV realm. Or maybe they are and just haven't gotten their acts together enough to publish yet.
Appreciate 1