08-25-2015, 09:03 PM   #15
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
After a few weeks shooting the 5DsR and continuing to shoot my 7D MkII, here's my strategy. My confidence in the resolution of the 7D MkII is exceptional at ISO 800 and below. You can get a superior shot with the 5DsR, but only if the subject isn't moving, you're using a tripod, mirror lock up and remote release. For hand held shooting of fast moving objects, the 7D MkII is king. Some say the AF isn't as good as the 5D MkIII or 5D sR, but I have no idea what they're talking about. I own all three and have shot many, many shots with each, and see no difference in tracking ability and my "keeper rate". At ISO 1600, I shoot everything on the 5DsR and put up with the "SLOW" 5-fps.

For everything else, the 5DsR is king. Travel, portrait, landscape, etc. is where it shines. The huge files has me putting in for a major computer upgrade for Christmas, but it's worth the trouble.

If you don't see the point of 10-fps, get the 5DsR. If you shoot moving subject and have some OOF shots, then then the 7D MkII is the way to go. Of course, a two-body system is ideal, if you can justify the investment.

Dave