View Single Post
      06-18-2019, 02:05 AM   #25
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Having owned every 3er generation, can never wrap my head around those who praise the E9x era or even more perplexing like it over other generations. "Okayest" cars BMW has ever made, especially from a design standpoint. Nothing remarkable about the E9x era and in my opinion broke some design cues which make BMW, such as a driver slanted dash. Instead they just place this plank dashboard atrocity in there and just junky Chris Bangle era design, also found in the E60 5 series even worse. They just felt bloated, and non cohesive in their design, like an awkward step into modernism. Somehow the E82 1 Series dodged that bullet despite being essentially the same technology and time period, had that car (135i) and loved it, so can see why some people like the era. The problem with the E90 is primarily design, but let's be honest that matters.

Every other era feels like the car is designed around you, where the E9x felt more like an assembly of parts. Would never buy another E90 even though it was a good getting around car. F30 crushes it in how much I enjoy the car overall.

For me it would be

G20, E46, F30, E30, E36, all in about the same regard, each with their unique character and style and..... E9x in a very distant last. The E9X broke too many design cues which make BMW great.