View Single Post
      05-06-2020, 02:25 PM   #56
StevenX94
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonboy View Post
Performance and Feelz wise 330i beats 320d hands down for mere 1000 euro you have to pay extra for it here in europe. I had E90 320d for 200000km, my wife has 2014 X1 20xd, my colleagues have 20d in G20 series and G30 series, and my own car is 2019 G20 330i with sport transmission so I drive both engines regularly.
In those higher tier cars engine bay is well isolated from interior so diesel is not as bad as in E84 X1, but its still audible noisier with deeper grunt and vibration. In regular driving petrol delivers power much more smoothly over wider rev range, diesel pulls better at low rpm then loses breath, the higher speed the more noticable it is.
Main reasons for me going with petrol is that I drive plenty of short trips around city, was annoyed by diesel's noise and power delivery, was put off by whole AdBlue and fact that more and more european cities consider banning diesels. I also wanted more power than 20d provides for less CAPEX than 330d.
Both G20 330i and 320d has particulate filters, 20d has DPF and 30i has OPF/GPF, difference being diesel one cannot regenerate in regular city driving conditions, it needs sustained highway speed to reach necessary temperature. So you shouldn't really consider diesel if your car won't get chance to regularly burn that sooth out from DPF, such as often short trips around city. Later on in car's lifecycle your DPF will get susceptible to clogging as for regeneration to work everything in engine must be fine which is never case of older BMWs, running too rich or too lean because of bad injectors, MAF, burning too much oil, faulty glow plugs, etc. etc. all will cause DPF to clog and unless you fix the root-cause problem you'll clog one DPF after other, and only OEM DPFs with price of 2000 euro really works. Then your diesel can seep into oil thinning it if regeneration is interrupted too often. Thats the general experience with BMW diesels after 120000miles here in eastern europe where operating used BMWs imported from Germany is a norm. In short used modern diesel can became real headache.
Very good points and info. Well written. I also test drove the 320d, 330d and the 330i. Petrol is much more sporty of a feeling and the sound is also sportier. Smoother all around. I have yet to test drive the M340i, almost sure that it is hell of fun to drive and the 6 cyl makes it maybe a whole different car.
Only problem is that I still think it is overpriced here, and im not sure if it really should be around 15,000 Euros more than the 330i
Appreciate 0