10-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #67
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...42923-9999.pdf

LOL - yep, legacy manufacturers don't have problems similar to Tesla's - they're actually far worse at times.

BMW HPFP, anyone?

How about major engine component failure - BMW has that too, which led to the above-mentioned warranty extension.

Or our Q5 TDi's emissions (non-) control system...

It's beyond disingenuous to suggest that legacy mfrs. don't have serious issues from time to time.

But some people are only interested in denigrating brands they don't like - not in the truth of the larger situation.

Given that the 3-series is the most-traded luxury model on the Model 3, it's ironic that a 3-series owner would suggest that those former owners don't know automotive excellence when they see it....
I guess after being done, we are both back.

I don't know what is getting in the way of accurately understanding my posts, so, let's be clear....

I actually agreed in my prior post that all manufacturers have quality issues, legacy or not. The point being missed is that problems are not all equivalent in type or frequency per program. A vehicle is sufficiently complex in design, development, and assembly, that defects will be present as long as humans are their creators Some that are complex need detailed investigation and resolution, such as HPFP failure root cause analysis.

But, some are so basic and simplistic, they deserve a forehead slap and being considered as absurd. That is why these bizarre events of bumpers falling off in rain, wood pieces in a power unit, sunroofs blowing off get such coverage. They are an inexcusable embarrassment. Analogy: If an adult fails a question on trigonometry, they go back and learn what they did wrong to prevent recurrence. If another adult cannot add 2+2 to get 4, the excuses evaporate. The two individuals were simply operating at totally different levels. The ridiculous types of failures we've seen accumulate - not just one - fall into that latter category, evidencing that they were not ready for prime time. In summary, the more complex, subtle, intricate the problem, the more understandable is its' occurrence. The more basic, simple, fundamental, the more unacceptable. Tesla seems to specialize in the latter, while the legacy brands are occasionally afflicted by the former.

Dislike the brand? The same brand to which I gave $1000 for a year until they started demonstrating they fell below the most minimal quality expectations with the pathetic products they displayed in their own showroom? I don't dislike the brand. I simply don't trust them any more based on their own performance. If they improve for a meaningful duration, trust can be regained. Model Y is not helping. My 3 Series has been perfect for three years, and side by side with any Tesla I've ever seen, the quality differences are obvious.

As to the market trading large volume of 3 Series, I am not surprised. I hold no illusions about current BMW owners. There was a time when the brand was lesser known and bought for the driving experience. In more recent decades, it became, sadly, a status symbol, something "cool", trendy, to show-off. I am not at all surprised that a mass of 3 Series buyers (probably mostly leasing) abandoned BMW for the newest shiny object or to go faster. Their willingness to overlook the array of obvious Tesla quality problems speaks to what motivated them to switch. Body panels don't fit? That's OK. Seals not aligned against the glass? What's a seal? Headline wrinkled and drooping? No problem. It looks cool, goes fast, is the newest thing around, and (most absurdly as noted on BMW forums), new and cool cars help with finding "partners". All sorts of reasons to switch that have no relationship to the alleged "excellence" of the total car that Tesla yearns to achieve one day beyond than their already excellent powertrain.

Never conflate volume with quality. Examples in our nation's buying patterns make clear the two are quite distinct entities.

Another round?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25086.00