07-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #96
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpxchewy View Post
They might put the b58 engine like n54 in 1m and n55 in m2. The only reason why they switched to s55 for m2c is because of emissions requirements and they didn't want to retrofit emissions equipment for n55
I hope not and I don't think that will be the case. This seemed obvious to all of us enthusiasts but it seems the decision-makers at BMW took a long time to realize just how popular a more affordable & smaller M coupe can be in today's market. 1M was limited to 1,306 units globally but people still pay top dollar to get their hands on one of those cars. I've been lucky enough to drive a couple of them and they're truly fun cars so I can definitely see why. M2's supply was initially constricted as well, first model year cars were hard to get but I think the extremely strong and continued demand forced BMW to finally ramp up production and stop thinking of these entry-level M coupes as niche vehicles.

Remember that the Z3 and Z4 based M vehicles sold absolutely terribly, I think this is why BMW has been cautious about its sub-M3 M models but the sales success of M2 has forced them to see the light.

M2's sales numbers are comparable to M3 now so they should treat it as a full M product. The competition in this price & size range is also very serious. The new CLA45 AMG and Audi RS3 both have extremely impressive bespoke engines in them so it only makes sense for the S58 to be used to compete with those vehicles.
Appreciate 0