03-02-2019, 03:25 PM   #114
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrot View Post
Why is it not creative?

Millennials like to travel and explore and they like experiences, they also like to make their own experiences and not be told directly how a brand should make them feel.

The visuals in the add convey the "feeling" of having a bmw; nimble, free and unique.

As an example the parking assistant is dancing because it represents the feeling of not having to worry about finding parking.

The fact that it doesn't feel like a "traditional" Bmw message, to us, is case in point that the advertising agency knows how to market towards younger buyers.
To clarify, I am not saying it is not creative. "Good creative" or "poor creative" are terms of art in advertising addressing delivering the strategic message. I am challenging the quality of the creative work. Imagine an XY graph with the axes being degree of creativity and quality of creativity. The goal is the upper right quadrant, but my opinion is that this one lays flat on quality, defined as supporting the brand and model positioning strategy.

BMW's USP in the market, as we all know, is positioned on the driving experience. They are free to reposition the brand as they wish, with attendant risks/benefits, but they haven't done that in marketing materials/campaigns in recent history. The previous launch of the 2 Series was based on resurrecting the imagery of the old 2002 models. This current spot is off-strategy for the brand, focusing more on "lifestyle/tech"...would work well for Lexus's outreach to younger prospects. Our segmentation work demonstrates that there continues to be a clear group among younger buyers for whom driving experience is the dominant motivation in choosing a vehicle. Not all Millenials have a monolithic set of attitudes/wants/needs and more than Boomers or Gen Xers did. There is diversity in each generation and BMW seems to have erroneously lumped all together simply based on their age, and may be missing their prime target.

For BMW, wandering off the brand strategy with the low leverage media budget of just launching the 3, has risks of not attracting those who really want the attributes historically dominated by BMW, with its pros/cons as a vehicle, but also trying and failing to attract those who resonate with the "lifestyle/tech" position and find other cars that do this even better and are more satisfying overall for their wants and needs. The only important outcome is first choice preference in the vehicle selection...every other brand loses the sale equally. I find a mis-alignment between brand position, vehicle position, and marketing message. I guess we'll see how this works out...
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0