03-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #3
jkjjpc
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 xdrive 35i, 2017 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
So I'm in the same boat as you - here is what I have gathered so far:
  • start of 2021 M340 production was to be/is: 6-20
  • only M340X models would still be coming out of Germany (all other G20 production for the US was shifting to Mexico)
  • Order guides should be out "soon"

On a related note (my lease is up in June and my dealer has shared the following with me)
  • current lease can be extended by 2-3 months regardless as to whether or not you will be purchasing a new BMW
  • if you have a 2021 on order (as I will) my current lease can be extended indefinitely until my new car arrives
Thanks for sharing this information. My lease ends end of April, I have already extended for 2 months as a courtesy without a new order. My understanding is that the extension can be up to 6 months with a pending order, but I bet they would find a way to extend longer if needed.

I currently have a 540i, but would like to move to a smaller car for the replacement. I'm debating between the M340i, Tesla Model 3, Polestar 2, etc. Polestar 2 not yet available and may be impacted by COVID-19 since they are built in China. Another option is to buy my 540i at the end of the lease and wait for the new 4 series since I am interested in going electric for my next car. But, the buyout for the 540 is well above retail value; perhaps the COVID-19 crisis will lead to BMW being more aggressive in their lease end deals to avoid taking back cars that are under water.
Appreciate 0