View Single Post
      01-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #108
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

1) Not out of my mind at all. The design and release engineer of the electrical architecture who allowed rear doors to be inoperable from the inside post-crash with loss of power did not have "safety" on their mind...should have been fired immediately. Tesla's answer is for kids/rear seat people to crawl out to the front door openings. Imagine the possible scenarios and outcomes...
2) Tesla forum reports numerous electrical quality failings. Humorous among them is the non-rare inability to get the recharging cable to be released. Many others have been cited by unhappy new owners, some resulting in stranding. I was on that forum for over a year, with a wide range of significant problems resulting from poor design and assembly.
3) One small, but absurd example: I believe it's 3 or 4 levels in a screen menu just to open the glove box...not a deal-killer alone, but indication of poor design.
4) I believe part of the assessment of the body-in-white design was having been designed with all the sophistication of a 1990's Kia, or words to that effect. Far too many small panels with tolerance stack-up problems, versus fewer larger ones, as is common this century. One of the lead engineers apparently joined with no specific automotive experience.
5) I see frunk lids, doors, decklids not fitting. A-pillar weatherstripping contorted from body fit issues.
6) The hip-to-heel metric for the rear seat is so inadequate, many have reported feeling as if they are sitting with their knees under their chins....
....and so on and so on....rookie errors.

Overall, not a bad try for an amateur company, but I had expected more fundamental competence beyond the innovative powertrain. I was relieved to get my grand back, and place it on a 330i.

Musk wouldn't take his excellent powertrain and work with an experienced source for design and assembly. Opportunities missed. In the past two years, he had the only game in town for such a premium positioned BEV. Automotive News reported last week 3000 cars in inventory...unsold. Price reduction of $2000. With BEVs about to launch from companies who know how to design and build cars, the real market competition is about to demonstrate Tesla weaknesses. I'm all for a BEV, but from a much more competent manufacturer. Those cars will also benefit from lower center of gravity from underbody battery, with handling advantages, and relieved of ICE motor in front, superior impact management. They will just be better designed and assembled for my $50 grand.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 01-12-2019 at 07:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
hans007604.50