View Single Post
      07-06-2019, 07:13 AM   #72
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Lighter and yet more boring. Driver centric cars is not about one parameter; it's about these cars solely being about driving and sticking to a philosophy.

In the past even a base 318i was a phenomenal car to drive. Didn't need to be fast to be good. If you go now and get into an 'entry' level BMW it is not going to be good at all. Current cars are numb and geared towards a customer base that puts emphasis on brand and badge over all else.

It's not BMW's fault that they are gearing their cars towards a customer base who cares more about superficial things like the badge; however they did encourage this customer base to form by wanting volume over profits.
Actually, it’s the opposite. In the 80s and 90s, most people considered cars to be more of an identity, a sign for wealth and prestige. Now, people care less about branding. That’s why BMWs need to be better than ever, and they are.
That’s why the amount of engineering and design going to these vehicles are exponentially more than ever. That is why saying that “Oh BMWs are just branding now” is a misplaced insult to the engineers.
50% 50% weight distribution, usage and development of composite materials and carbon fiber, safety, engines that can give you sub 5 seconds 0-60 times while doing 35 mpg, incredibly capable infotainment systems, amazing smoothness and refinement all around the range, big SUVs that can stay flat in fast corners... Engineers from the past can only dream of these things. And old cars are more about brand, new ones are more about engineering.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 7
530iDriver1707.50
clee1982796.00
KRS_SN13104.50
MDuckie93.00
AESZ473.00