Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
I don't understand. If the market demands a product, why would a company not supply that product? That's like saying Apple will intentionally sell less iPhones on purpose to people because they're going to lower production. I'm confused.

The auto does also come with benefits for MPG figures, so I can see why they'd want to lower manual transmissions. You also can't have an autonomous manual car. With this big push for autonomy and the like, I can somewhat see why they'd lower the production on the manual transmission.
I think you missed the point where I stated the Auto Industry often drives the market, not the consumer (at least at first). The proliferation of 4 door coupes is a great example. There was no actual need for a sedan with a slopping roof, as beyond style there is limited to no benefit over a comparable sedan. But one ambitious auto maker tried to give it a shot as an attempt to cut a niche into the pie and take customers away from another. The customer didn't exactly demand or ask for it (at first), but once available they bought it and other company's jumped on board and as supply increased so did demand. So yes in the end the market has made a case for "grand Coupes", and a manufacturer would be stupid not to make one, but the initial demand/supply was driven by the industry and not from customers.
That may be it, but the whole four door coupe concept could have also been born out of consumer focus groups in an effort to re-invent the somewhat practical but stale 3-Box sedan design.

I agree akin to re-inventing the wheel. But we have seen the same silliness in coupe shaped SUVs like the X6.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
Pic18303.50