View Single Post
      12-27-2020, 05:25 PM   #18
tarrant64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Shame he didn't get 'educated' by BMW... or even read the User Manuals.

Break-in applies to all vehicles.
It's honestly a pointless debate to have over the break-in period. I've seen writings from engineers on both sides that state why you should (drive it like you stole it) or shouldn't baby the engine during break-in.

Personally, I think there are few motors out there that truly benefit. And even from those, there's a small chance something actually goes wrong. That said, if it were it's doubtful it wouldn't be something covered under warranty.

I've seen a couple of different recommendations in the manual - and yes one does state that break-in was only required for "M" vehicles. It was in a certain context though. On another page specifically dealing with break-in there was no specific mention of "M" vehicles, just a general what to do and what not to do during the 1,200 mile break in.

From what I've seen - reality is for those vehicles that actually matter for break-in - usually you will find some electronic/software coded limitations that prevent you from actually damaging something until it's ready. Chevy even recently did this with their C8. I've seen this in other BMW's when the engine is cold the redline is lowered/controlled by software.

I just don't worry about it anymore. Cars just aren't as fragile anymore, particularly BMW's. And the software used to control them are exceptionally good at protecting the engine.
Appreciate 0