View Single Post
      09-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #14
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
UPDATE: After 5,000 miles and a 1,000 mile road trip through the Appalachian mountains (in which i averaged over 38 mpg, >80mph!) I really have to say- I really unfairly nitpicked this car in my original review.

Car magazines/reviewers are guilty of this. Many of us on this forum are guilty of this. We hold BMW to SUCH a high standard because of their history and legacy with the 3 series. I really think it's unfair. You cannot compare this car to an e46 or an e90. Those cars obviously excelled in their own ways while the G20 should be appreciated and applauded for what it is. You have to judge it and review it in today's luxury sports sedan category.

Cars have evolved so much since the e46/e90-we can debate all day about purity, hydraulic steering etc. The fact is-it's gone and those days are over. For better or worse, now BMW has attempted to please every single demographic with this car: enthusiasts, car mags, moms, older folks, commuters, autobahn drivers, city dwellers, etc. I think they have done an absolutely phenomenal job by literally pleasing everyone with this vehicle. It's a nearly perfect sedan for everyone. Most of the other competition, excels in 1 or 2 areas but doesn't offer this kind of complete package.

It somehow manages to handle incredibly well- at ANY speed, without being overly stiff or uncomfortable. It's easy to drive fast and rock solid/refined/predictable with tons of grip on all season tires. It's also easy to drive slowly and maneuver city streets/parking lots. It's very comfortable as a highway cruiser. It's modern and feels luxurious and expensive inside and out. It somehow manages to deliver over 38mpg on the highway while cruising at 80-90mph-(i got 550 miles on one tank of gas before refueling ). I think this is the compromise that a majority of us are looking for. Is it the new Altima with summer tires faster around a skidpad? Yes. Does it have the steering feel/ratio of Giulia? No. Is it as comfortable as Lexus? No. Is it as sexy as the S60? No.(although subjective)

Does it offer the best combination of driving dynamics, comfort, luxury, looks, price(lease deals) in the luxury sports sedan category as it stands today? Absolutely. None of those cars even come close.
After doing around 3000kilometers with my G20 this is exactly my impression of the car.
It's impressive how G20 manages to do so many things so good cause a lot of cars out there excel in one or two categories at the expense of being subpar in other areas.

G20 is perfectly relaxed, comfortable, economical and silent on the highway (especially with sound-insulated front windows). It's fun and dynamic on B-roads and very easy to drive in the city. It's built like a tank and finally has great headlight output with mid-range adaptive LED option. Sport seats are great. Ergonomics of the controls are better than ever. You just see that every little detail has been thought through and tested over and over.

If you want a nimble, sharp sports car to throw around narrow mountain roads and performance and road feel is your number one priority - just skip the 3 series and buy yourself a 2 series coupe or an M2.
Appreciate 2