View Single Post
      09-15-2020, 06:37 AM   #210
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 ZHP, 19 X5 xDrive40i

I just posted this on the software update sticky, but thought it should be here too:

I was happily on 07/2019. I finally got the notice that 11/2019 was ready to install and somehow I lost my mind, didn't follow my own advice and installed it. Then I recalled reading how you lose all of your coding (easy to fix) and lose your tune (should be easy to fix). Well you don't 'lose your tune', BMW put another layer of 'protection' in the DME and my car bricked when I went to reinstall my BM3 Stage 1 tune. The guys at PTF fixed it (back to stock only), it took 30 minutes, but now the DME has to be bench unlocked (for free). I'm sending it to them next week.

So, I'm stupid, I didn't listen to my own advice. If you have a tune DO NOT 'upgrade' software. PTF tells me that each new 'upgrade' may require a bench unlock each time, until they figure out how to hack around each new BMW encryption. Honestly, like a I said before, there is NOTHING so important to merit urgently performing these updates. Also would add the customer service from PTF is A++++.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1949.00