05-18-2019, 08:54 AM   #22
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW11 View Post
Sounds like a cool idea that its BMW installed-integrated, though... how good it performs is subject, without seeing specs and where the videos of its features ? did BMW make a marketing video of this feature?.. Does anyone know the full specs and features of the video that is recorded?, ex: resolution 4K, 1440, 1080, 720,etc. Bits, FOV, zoom, can it read license plate numbers, how is performance in day and night, does it have WIFI, and how much memory is on the 'chip'? "sd" card, 'hard-drive' before it re-writes over itself? Does it continually record or only if its triggered in an accident, motion, or parking mode, Does it have a Parking Mode? I cant find specification details on they BMW recorder after searching for awhile... Do you think the BMW 6DR would be as good or better as a current good quality two channel 4k dash cam that's on the market?
I doubt it has a parking mode since the idrive system is involved. Not power efficient.

Think of this when comparing to other dash cams, the current surround view cameras are focused on the road and wouldn't see a person's face standing near the car. So, identifying someone in a parking mode situation might not be within this systems capability anyway. BMW would need to use camera positioning more like Tesla does for a decent parking mode experience.