View Single Post
      09-06-2019, 09:45 AM   #14
Delta5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2018 X3 30i

The first car I owned with summer, high-performance tires was a Nissan 370Z. Yokohama Advan's of some sort. Great car, great tires in spring, summer, and fall. That first winter, I thought, "pfffft, I know how to drive, I'll be fine." Cold pavement was amusing as it was easy to sort of drift around every corner. Stopping wasn't horrible, but ABS would clearly kick in pretty easily. I was cautious, and understood the risks, but I managed.

Then it snowed.

At work that morning, 3-4 inches of slushy midwestern snow fell. I lived less than a mile from work. I couldn't get home. Literally, the car drove like it was on ball bearings. I had almost no traction. Any sort of incline was hopeless. Traction control was utterly useless. I got stuck in two intersections, blocking traffic. Police helped push me out the second time. That was fun. After 45 minutes of puttering around my town trying to find a route where I didn't get stuck, I parked the car back at work and walked home. I managed to nurse it home the following day after the city had salted, sanded, and plowed.

Granted, a RWD 370Z is a little different than an AWD M340i, but I honestly don't think AWD would have helped much on those tires. They definitely wouldn't have helped with stopping.

Don't be like me. Your M340i deserves good winter rubber. If not real winter tires, at least put all-seasons on it. Ideally, get a second set of wheels. But even if you don't do that, possibly paying some wheel repair guy $50 to remove some nick or scratch caused by the remounting tires is much less of an ordeal than fixing your car after you've wrapped it around a telephone pole because you couldn't stop on an icy road.

Good luck! FWIW, I'm in the same boat with my RWD M340i on PS4S's. Will be ordering some winter wheels & tires very soon.

Last edited by Delta5; 09-06-2019 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0