Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MTFTMFW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I think M340i, C43, S4 etc are absolutely enthusiast targeted cars. Why would a non-enthusiast ever purchase them?

I define an enthusiast as someone who places higher value on their car/driving experience than the average consumer, for any given class of car. So in the midsize luxury sedan segment, if you don't place higher value on the car/driving experience, you have absolutely no reason to purchase an M340, C43 or S4 over a 330i, C300, or A4 respectively. It just wouldn't make any sense.
I guess we define the term enthusiast differently.
But I don't agree with your notion that there's absolutely no reason to by 340i and the others you'd mentioned.
Just for the sake of getting a 6 cylinder engine vs sewing machine ticking clacking sounding 4 banger is enough of a reason to go after 340/c43/s4 etc.
If you know how many cylinders your engine has and you can tell the difference in sound, you are an enthusiast. The vast majority of people only care if the car is cool, comfortable, and gets max MPG.
Exactly, a non-enthusiast sees a 3 series and c class, not m340i and c43. I know plenty of people who would just see a bmw, Mercedes, or Audi, and not even know the model beyond that.
Appreciate 0