07-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #14
Joro2819
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 750LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
IMO, huge waste of time, effort, thought, and money to do it on a lease... just drive the damn thing and keep it waxed and you'll be fine.
Would definitively not do it on a lease. Low benefit thing to spend time on.

This. On a brand new purchased car a good idea. Especially if you plan to keep it long term.

Personally, I tend to be pretty perfectionist with my cars, but over time I find wisdom in the logic that the car is meant to be driven, enjoyed, and used not kept in a worshiping shrine. On my current 340i, condition is pretty much 10/10, I just use a 2 bucket wash, wax and quick wax every wash, and it stays that way. Also have a random orbital and do the clay/polish/wax yearly. I don't have any clear bra on it, and have the OE touch up so if any chips ever do show up I will just fill them with that. I like working with the real paint on the car. I prob should do clear bra on this car, but prob not going to it's been fine, California also doesn't induce a lot of rock chips as it is more of sandy geography.

Shooting for 99% perfect is very often better than shooting for 100% perfect in life.

To take this to the other extreme, my brother has a 1996 328i and it has so many dings, nicks, on it, which we touched up and restored, and the car has immense character and if anything makes it a more interesting car. You'd hardly notice all the nicks because they have been touched up, and if you are focusing on that.... Why? On that car, I would say it in fact makes the car more interesting.
Nice write up, I was pondering over whether this was a good idea when I purchase my 340. Seems like a lot of money to spend. I understand the logic behind it and I have my share of dings on my car. It still looks great with some dings and rock chips and I have learned to luve with it and gave up on trying to make it look like a garage queen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0