03-06-2020, 07:26 PM   #55
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
I've only had mine for a week. But I discovered the steering intervention and how awful a feature it is and how to turn it off.

I purposely didn't option all the driver aids but apparently this one was free. no thanks.
The steering intervention is pretty annoying, but I don't think there is a necessary correlation between that and drive assist pro. Drive assist pro will definitely keep the car in the lane, but the reason you would turn it on is because you want to use your hands and eyes for something else for longer than would be safe to take them off the road.

With all the options in the infotainment / nav system, not to mention texts and calls, it's nice to be able to tweak a few settings or get a few texts sent out without the requirement that your eyes are on the road at all times, especially at highway speeds. Even small things like looking at the map, checking your phone, etc.

Some who have road in my car have said "I'd have trouble trusting the car to drive for me"... I remind them that everyone said the same thing about cruise control when it first started emerging on new vehicle models ("I'm not letting a car accelerate that doesn't know how to brake")... well after all these years of "dangerous" cruise control, we now have active cruise control. Adding steering to the mix is just another step forward.

When I use it, the road is never completely out of my vision. I think its most useful when you keep the road in peripheral vision. The requirement to tap the steering wheel every 30 seconds or so is a useful timer reminder to look at the situation every now and then.
Appreciate 1