View Single Post
      03-15-2023, 09:29 PM   #49
Psychos1s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 50 Jahre Edition

First off, have you driven the car hard with all settings maxed out? I'm going to assume not being it's still in the break-in period? The car is a different beast when you compare efficient or sport vs Sport Plus and Transmission in D3 vs D1 etc.

Many people in the forums have said the same thing—you can't compare a Porsche to a BMW. Maybe the Panamera but comparing a 2-seater to a 5 seater is difficult. Right out of the gate they are apples to oranges. I have never driven a Porsche, therefore am going to rely on what I do know. The G8X is fast. Not just in a straight line like a one-trick pony Tesla. Some may say it's numb but it is precise and its track times prove it is a capable car. I can only assume it's the track times, general price range and both being German cars that have people comparing a Porsche to a BMW.

What defines a Sports Car? Wikipedia says, "A sports car is a car designed with an emphasis on dynamic performance, such as handling, acceleration, top speed, the thrill of driving and racing capability." In that case, a G8X in a lot of ways is more of a sports car than a lot of Porsches out there.

Webster Dictionary is probably the more general definition; a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving.

In the latter case, the Porsche is definitely more of a sports car while the G8X is a Luxury Sports Coupe or Sedan in BMW's own terms. I do feel like Wikipedia's definition is probably where people try to put the M3/M4 into the sports car category.

I have a 2009 Audi R8 (v8 manual) and honestly feel my old F80 zCP and G80 are far more capable/precise/fast cars. But then again, that isn't what defines a sports car. A Mazda Miata is a "sports car" yet I'm not sure most would consider it a real sports car.

I will disagree with your point that, "...if you can only have one car - get a Porsche." The M3 is far more practical and as you mentioned yourself, more people want to ride in the M3 over the 718. Now if you have a daily and can only have one car for the weekend, I can see buying a 718 over a M3. But once again, that is really apples to oranges.

I honestly feel the M3/M4 is more like a Mustang GT350 (maybe 500 too), Camaro ZL1, Cadillac CT4/CT5-V Blackwing and of course Giulia Quad, AMG C63 S etc. It's a fast car you can also take a group of people in or pick up your kids and their friends from school.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I do agree the cars are different and shouldn't be compared.

2023 G80 ///M3 Competition xDrive 50 Jahre Edition • Ordered 5/4/22 • Delivered 9/23/22
Previous • 2017 F80///M3 zCP • Instagram: MRated.M3 • 2023 ///M3 50 Jahre Edition | The Journey to Ownership

Last edited by Psychos1s; 03-15-2023 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 3
DO4441410.50