View Single Post
      06-28-2020, 05:45 AM   #23
WhiteJames
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport Plus

Mexico Build:

From June 2020 build onwards, all G20 3 series destined for Australia will be built in Mexico. I have managed to glean a few other points re: Mexico build for the BMW 330i M Sport:

1. Mexico Factory is a new advanced and state of the art factory.
2. There is a cluster of factories in San Luis Potosi, Mexico. Mercedes, GM and Nissan have factories in this area. Vehicle components manufacturers also have factories nearby to supply BMW with parts.
3. Up to half the Mexican employees in the BMW factory have prior experience from working in other auto factories.
4. The average age of the worker in the BMW factory is Germany is about mid-forties. In Mexico it about mid-twenties.
5. There is no engine factory in the Mexican plant. I’m guessing that the 330i motor is shipped in from either the USA or Germany?
6. There is a railway line from San Luis Potosi directly to the Pacific Ocean Mexican port of Lazaro Cadenas, where the vehicles are loaded onto the car carrier ship.
7. Mexico plant only builds the 3 series vehicle.
8. BMW Germany has been building the G20 for about 20 months. Mexico has been building the G20 for about 12 months. Mexico has had plenty of time to adapt.

Cheers

WJ
Appreciate 0