View Single Post
      06-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
BMW_Midlo_Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Yes, but apparently there are rules to it

***Update*** - Found it in the user-manual - and YES< Launch control comes on all new M340i's.

***Launch Control***

*Concept*

Launch control enables optimum acceleration on surfaces with good traction under dry surrounding conditions

*General Information*

The use of launch control causes premature component wear since this function represents a very heavy load for the vehicle

Do not use Launch Control during the > break-in period (defined as Up to 1200 miles) for the Engine, transmission, and axle drive; 200 miles for the Tires, 300 miles for the brakes; with same break-in periods for any replaced components (brakes, tires, etc.)

Do not steer the steering wheel when driving off with Launch Control

*Functional requirements*

Launch Control is available when the engine is at operating temperature. The engine is at operating temperature after an uninterrupted trip of at least 6 miles/10 km.

*Start with launch control*

1. Switch on drive-ready state

2. Press the button. TRACTION is displayed in the instrument cluster and the indicator light for DSC OFF lights up.

3. Engage selector lever position S.

4. With the left foot, forcefully press down on the brake.

5. Press and hold down the accelerator pedal beyond the resistance point at the full throttle position, kick down. A flag symbol is displayed in the instrument cluster.

6. The starting engine speed adjusts. Within 3 seconds, release the break.

*Repeated use during a trip*

After Launch Control has been used, the transmission must cool down for approx. 5 minutes before Launch Control can be used again. Launch Control adjusts to the surrounding conditions, when used again.

*After using Launch Control*

To increase vehicle stability, activate DSC Dynamic Stability Control again as soon as possible.

___
I have yet to see it on my new M340i, but the story is it does exist - But supposedly, it only becomes available after a certain number of miles on the engine (to ensure the engine is 'broken in'), + certain number of miles driven in that day (to ensure the engine is warmed for the day).

Then, and only then - the feature can be used as outlined above.

I'd love to hear back if this understanding is incorrect.

Last edited by BMW_Midlo_Man; 06-14-2019 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Added clarifying details on process
Appreciate 5