Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-Furby View Post
What's with all the hate on AWD?

Give me a break already. Many of the super/hyper cars are AWD. The current gen M3 (competition) can't lay down all the power to the rear wheels without causing some spin. I track my car and it annoys me that after a curve I can't plant the pedal all the way down without worrying if spin (aka loss of power, loss of acceleration, loss of speed, loss of TRACTION ) will occur. Or how about the spin on a dead start...So great, 444 HP, but can't put it all down because the rear wheels can't handle it.
I am usually not in the camp that current M's have lost there "feel" and "soul", but adding AWD generally does change the driving dynamics and how you drive the car. Yes it might be faster around a track, but personally I would rather have the traditional feel of RWD and work on the skill of exiting corners without spinning (or with some slip) than just being able to point and shoot. Part of the fun is getting the most out of what you have rather than the car being better than you.

That said I am not in "hate" group, but rather cautiously optimistic that through electronics and differentials the car still feels RWD and reacts the same way. It is also is promising that they mention an RWD mode like the M5, so we have that going for us, which is nice!
Appreciate 2
///BYU268.50