View Single Post
      03-15-2019, 06:56 AM   #81
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
M cars are great and all. But they have all always been varying grades on the same scale. the M3 is going to be what maybe 8-9k more than a m340i. I'd guess 95% of m340i buyers could make it work if they had to get an m3.

I'm not saying M cars are bad, or M340i cars are bad. Or 330i is bad. Its just different versions of the same thing, so don't act like it makes you somehow better if you bought an actual m3. Unless you really care how much money one has to spend on transportation and whatever status you feel that gives

I mean an m3 costs what probably what a base x5 50i costs. So if you are on that train of thought, shouldn't anyone with a $70k car, like a x5 50i occupy the same status. Because lets get real here. Most people who get an M3 aren't going to be some amazing driver / track magician. I might get an M3 this time around. I can afford it. THat doesn't make me any better a driver than I am now, and ultimately for a lot of M drivers its a how much money can you spend on transportation pissing contest. So unless you really care about that or find it important, does it really matter if someone is an m340i o m3 owner.

To be honest, for me the status is that it’s an M car.

It has a heritage and an iconic status, nothing to do with cost (for me).
I don’t care if it’s an F82 or E92, it’s like being in the “club”.
I still get thumbs up from random people on the street, and you can guess what happens when I pick my daughter up from high school!

As nice of a car as the M340i may be, I doubt I’ll get the same reactions.
There’s a high percentage chance I’ll change my mind at the dealer and jump back into an M.

I showed my daughter a pic of the M340i and she was like “eh!” Needless to say she has good taste in cars, taught her well!!
Appreciate 2
TrueToBMW160.00
M370z175.00