Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
So let me get this straight:

- This Digital Key feature works via NFC only.
- Because it's NFC-based, it does not work on Apple devices.
Yes, because of Apple not allowing NFC in their phones, nothing to do with BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
- Because it's NFC-based, it only works on Android (what about Blackberry?) devices.
- BMW infotainment continues to favor Apple devices at the significant expense of Android devices.

So basically you need two phones using two completely divergent OSs to take full advantage of a BMW's electronic doodads.

Wha-whaaaa?

#FAIL
BMW's refusal to use Android Auto is because it is susceptible to hacking, and they don't want to share their vehicle/user data with Google, which Google requires. BMW is protecting their owners privacy. Other brands aren't, so if that's paramount to you, then you don't need two phones, you're free to switch cars.
So if they're not permitting NFC, how does Apple Pay work when a customer taps their iPhone on a pinpad?

Or is that only in Canada. Speaking as a retailer, we accept Apple Pay & Google Pay, both transactions require the iPhone or Android phone to have NFC enabled.

And no, pinpads don't support BT for obvious security reasons.

So NFC for iPhones only works on Canada then?
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
Roch M4424.00