Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nublu2u View Post
My, an M3 with a torque converter, a transmission slower than it's predecessor, lower revving than the s55, is that what the customers have been asking for?

In the past it was easy to point out what differentiated the brand; high revving engine, CFRP roof, SMG or M DCT, CFRP driveshaft, handling, etc. Looks like M's engineering excellence is a victim to the company accountants.
It's not only accountants. It's the owners and the board ... they transformed the company into money grab business where nothing is sacred any more.

Many M customers have no clue what drivetrain capabilities are and never drive vehicles on track or take spitited drives. There are folks on this forum that claim the X M's are real M cars. WTF!!?? How often do you see them racing? Maybe they are cause M has different meaning now I guess.

If you look at f80 section so many owners and buyers care about driver assistance bs features and leather more than the human-machine interface. Most M enthusiasats have or had e30, e36, e46 and e9x but are now owners of P and even Camaro, and X3s for wives. I talked to several of them at meets and hpde. Many bmw instructors moved to P after e46.

This new M3 will be nothing special with a copy-paste engine/drivetrain from SUVs, horrid design and will be probably larger and heavier than F80. It will be fast though but will it be fun and connected the way even sport package 3 series used to be?
Even if it is, you've lost that "can't look away" quality that helped define previous M cars. They were good looking. Can people be ok with an ugly car that drives well? Some people, sure. Most people, prolly not.
Yep exactly. I can't justify paying a premium for an ugly car that drives well.

Heck I don't want to buy ZL1 cause the car is ugly and interior is ... well typical Chevy design.

On the other hand I need to test drive 718 4.0 ...
Appreciate 0