12-29-2019, 06:34 AM   #9
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
Yes that's right, that rule applies for any region. HOWEVER, getting approval for Merino in a G20 in the US would require some element of approvals by BMW NA which could push it out your build slot. But that's not due to the option itself but the approval process dragging it out.

As you know, when the dealer builds a car right off the local-spec option list, they can just pop in the relevant codes against a car already in their allocation (provided it hasn't started production) and they could effectively have a car being made to your specification within a few weeks + shipping. But since you want a non-US spec option, that'll have to go via the BMW head office to get approval (which presumably isn't too quick) before they can add the option in - and I think only an administrative user can add non-local spec options to the car even after this approval has been granted. I think there's only one person in a dealer who has this access and it's a collaborative exercise with the head office to do. It really shouldn't be hard or slow but hey big business slowness is common in all industries .

So you just need to work with the dealer to get that approval and then afterwards those more 'regular' merino options are all yours ASAP (but for a pretty $$$$ price). My M340i order (Australian), was placed in mid-December and accepted for a Week 3 Jan 2020 build allocation per my request (calendar year is important in our part of the world for resale so i wanted one of the first 2020 slots) with Full Ivory Merino.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully it's offered as a local option here at some point.

You'll have to let me know how the merino in the 3 series is and if it's worth it. I'm not too satisfied with the vernasca leather in it currently. I have merino in my X5 and I love it.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0