View Single Post
      09-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Windows Gurus - Odd Boot Issue

Ok, I'm not a newb to Windows but this one has me stumped. Wifey's Win7 box was running out of space on her C: drive, which was a 128GB SSD. I bought a 500GB SSD and cloned it over. The clone appeared to work fine. But the new SSD won't boot. I get the "No boot device detected" warning. This happened, of course, because it's Wifey's PC. Just the way my luck rolls.

In any case, I booted from the Win7 DVD and ran repair and it went fine. It then booted into Windows normally. I'm thinking, cool, I'm saved.

But...it will only boot if the DVD is set as a boot device and the Win7 DVD is in the drive. I get the "Press anykey to boot from DVD" prompt and let it time out, then it boots into Windows 7 as normal. If I try booting without the DVD, I get the "No boot device found" message. I've tried removing the DVD player from the boot device list and I get the same warning. If I set the SSD as the primary boot device and the DVD as the secondary and insert the DVD, it goes right to the DVD and the "Press any key" message. Again, letting that time out allows it to boot to Win 7 off the SSD as normal.

I've never seen this before. I can't figure out why it won't boot from the SSD until it goes through the DVD boot spiel. Obviously the SSD is bootable, but the BIOS doesn't let it boot until the DVD boot prompt times out.

Any ideas?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0