View Single Post
      08-27-2019, 07:44 PM   #59
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Once again information has been taken out of context quite a bit. The initial flash that came on M340i (the flash that was loaded at the production line, before the first cars even hit the showrooms) had a much higher output then stated by BMW. Think of it as a MPPSK version of m340i.

Dealers were issued a bulletin to update their inventory vehicles, so 99.5% of M340s that were sold/delivered, already had a 'Proper" calibration installed. Only reason I even learned about this move was due to our connection at the dealer telling me that the car I was picking up didn't have the "mandated" update on it. This raised a small flag to me so the first thing I did was run few tests of the first "pre-official" firmware version for G20 and compared it to later version. Only the "pre official" (or whatever you want to call it) version has shown a MUCH higher power increase compared to all subsequent updates.

We try our best to use the well known/trusted dyno that reads on the lower side, providing the most honest results. This specific dyno read 294whp on a stock 2016 340i followed by 338whp for the 2020 M340i. Those numbers, accounting for basic error, are exactly what those cars are advertised to produce. We can easily bring a stock M340i to a different dyno that we know of locally, and you will see a number north of 370whp stock and over 450whp on Stage 1, but what is the point? Those are not accurate numbers. As an experienced engine builder and tuner, I have learned one thing over years: Dyno numbers are worthless and you will never win a fight against science. In basic terms, engine's power output is directly proportionate to the oxygen it consumes. A stock M340i consumes 1040kg/h of oxygen, which using a basic formula translates to 38.2lb/min, or 382hp at the crank. Plain and simple, so don't try and fight science as you will lose.

So to summarize: M340i is still one hell of a fast car from the factory and is much faster then 340i. If you are one of the lucky ones to have first production firmware still on your car, then you are experiencing something that will be officially released as MPPSK for this chassis by BMW. So there is nothing to complain about as BMW has delivered exactly why you have paid for.

Last edited by MissionPerformance; 08-27-2019 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 4
ubchariot101.50
otay826.00
clee1982797.50