07-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #55
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
My thoughts after the M Town Tour...I was expecting more from the M340i...more pomp and flash. It was more subdued and comfortable...not loud whatsoever.
I think its all the M badge, its all psychological, because when you think of an M3 (or any M), you think of fast, loud, and raw. So one would think that with the M340i having an M Prefix, that it would borrow more from the M3 than the 330i, when in reality, it is a 330i with upgrades in the powertrain department and just has an M badge next to its designation. Now this isn't a bad thing as the 330i is a great car, and more power and a nicer engine makes it even better, its just not this raw and loud machine that the M3 is, and this is purposeful of course because otherwise some may not even bother and spring for the M model, or they may find the car too harsh for not being a "full M," and BMW likely wants these features such as loud exhaust and a more raw and harsh personality to be exclusive to the full M cars, and of course sell them at a higher price for a higher profit. I wonder if the car's badge said 340i would the expectations be different?

I think the Mercedes is actually the opposite of the M340i, the C43 borrows more from its full AMG sibling, the C63, rather than its more traditional and luxurious regular C300 model. And because of this, it does have some AMG-like qualities such as a loud exhaust, with exhaust blips on upshifts, and a stiff suspension, all of which can either be good or bad depending on your preference, because some may want that AMG-like experience for less, or they may just want the comfort and refinement of a C300 just with a V6 instead of a 4 cylinder and without the harsher suspension and loud exhaust, like the people who just want a luxury line 340i to exist, as they don't care for any of the M-performance bits, they just want the smoother and more refined engine and less flashy appearance.

I have adjusted to the new model hierarchy w/ BMW and Merc where they put the M and AMG badges on cars that aren't fully built by these separate divisions, and while it may have been annoying at first, it definitely will not change, so my peace has been made and I don't get mad about it anymore, but I do think, if they are going to be making these M-Performance models, they should borrow a little more from the M division, because in my opinion the M340i is a great car, but it doesn't have many distinctive differences other than its powertrain from that of a 330i in M-Sport guise with similar options.

So in the end, I definitely see what the hosts of Throttle House are saying. Essentially if you don't need the extra second shaved from your 0-60 time, and don't mind having a 4 cylinder engine, the 330i is a perfect car for you, as the M340i really only adds those features because of its larger engine. Both cars will handle relatively similarly, and have many of the same options cosmetically and mechanically, providing a similar experience, just one being slower than the other, and heck the 330i may handle better due to it weighing less overall and over the front, and its newer designed steering rack which may have more feedback, I remember once Road & Track decided that the 228i was the best 2 series to buy because of this, they found that the decrease in weight provided a better driving experience, but in the end, like they said, all 3 cars are a great choice that you can't go wrong with.

Anyways, thats just my thoughts and opinions, I'm sure others will be different or maybe similar.

Last edited by stein_325i; 07-04-2019 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 5