Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT92F80 View Post
Wonder if the crankhub issue has been fixed
Yes, since B58 there has been a completely different design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
Pretty cool they had the room to fit the intake box on top of the engine, although it makes me wonder if any additional turbo lag is noticed with the amount of intake piping for this engine (vs. the B58).

Seems they also moved the powerband up in the RPM range a bit vs. the S55; about ~500-700 RPM. I wonder how that'll make it "feel" below 2500 RPM vs. the outgoing M3/M4.
Well, most 2017 and 2018 M3s and M4s (and maybe 2016s? I don't remember) have basically zero power below 2,500RPM anyways - the software was changed in our DMEs to artificially limit boost to pretty much zero until around 2,250 or so and I can tell you my manual 2018 M3 really doesn't start to move at all until after 2,500rpm in any gear. It was a shame they designed the S55 to hit peak torque so low and then changed their mind and limited the ultra low end because we were left with sacrifices in potential top end power. This new engine seems to strike a better balance in my opinion - if you don't want a ton of torque sub-2k RPM then you may as well design the engine, turbo system, etc. to flow better at the other end of the spectrum.
Appreciate 0