View Single Post
      07-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #98
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
DCT or ZF 8HP are basically the same thing in practice. I'm not sure why people who prefer automatics care that much that it's a ZF 8HP and not a DCT anymore. You get better low speed driving manners, still imperceptibly fast shift times, a better ratio spread, and you don't have to operate a clutch. Why do you care so much how it works? The ZF 8HP locks up the torque converter after a start so you don't have the "slush box" effect of older/cheaper automatics. You pretty much never have to worry about clutch wear. What to you, is the defining characteristic of a DCT that makes it so much better than the ZF 8HP?

A manual is just completely different while the ZF 8HP and DCT are millimeters apart to the driver. Losing the manual is a big deal. Moving from one auto to another auto is not.
Amen. I literally do not understand and find it very funny for those that say the DCT is better than a ZF or any other transmission. The shifts on the Quad vs the DCT in my opinion feel a little quicker and more responsive, but in the end it's the same more or less. They're automatics plain and simple.
Appreciate 1