View Single Post
      10-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
I can never understand why they are so reluctant, yeah sure I get the low sales argument, but they already have the parts developed for the M3 saloon, other than perhaps different spring rates, and a slightly revised quarter panel, surely everything is the same as the saloon?
It will take a lot more work than you'd imagine. Especially with so many ///M variant components. Lights, roof, aero, bumpers, and anything on the underbody that is different for the longer length (drive shafts, under panels, fuel/brake/etc. lines)

And then of course you have to deal with repeating emissions and safety testing for every configuration.

Also factor in that you will have a higher rate of scavenging from existing M3/M4 market, and not a lot of people jumping over from their AMG wagons. So you're basically multiplying the cost of development to steal sales from your own books.

There are a lot of levels to it. And people like me understand, because I love the idea of these ridiculous fast wagons. But I have no interest in actually owning one.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0