View Single Post
      10-22-2019, 12:18 AM   #14
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Being originally from Scandinavia were we love wagons including me they are preferred as a one car solution. If, they are mid-size offering ample storage. Wagons pretty much obsoleted sedans when I was still living there. Not only were they more practical they were cooler than sedans. We now talk the likes of A6 Avant, V70, 5 Touring.

3-series size wagons however had much less appeal due to the inadequate total space. Nowadays with a 2+ garage I strongly prefer to have an SUV over a wagon as the gear carrier and road trip/adventure car coupled with a sportier sedan or coupe. The higher ground clearance Of an SUV make it more robust and it keeps much cleaner in crappy weather and terrain inside and out. The larger volume can absorb more moisture from wet ski gear and clothes etc. to prevent fogging up. And today you lose little in driveability in cars like our Cayenne. I still think wagons are cooler but I’ll never go back to one.

The market for wagons in the M3 class I guess is today near insignificant even if we love them for their coolness factor.

I’d make an exception if BMW fired up the E61 M5 production though...coolest M car ever.
Appreciate 0