06-27-2019, 04:51 PM   #51
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
Yes, I agree... I see loads of comments from people saying "auto is auto" ... and they are clearly not the people who drive a DCT in 'manual' mode.

The *whole point* of the DCT gearbox is that the driver gets to choose which gear to be in and when to shift. The transmission's job is to execute those decisions in a really immediate fashion, e.g. throttle-blipping on downshift while braking into a tight turn.

I really don't care how 'smooth' the shifts are - doesn't matter at all if you are shifting at the right time, and keep the car in the right gear. I actually love to feel that kick in the pants from an aggressive upshift. I love to hear the throttle blips and exhaust farts from changing down early under braking before turn-in. I have no desire for the car to change gears on me half way through a turn, or upshift to 8th on a freeway because it thinks I should be saving fuel. I want the car to slow down with engine-braking when I lift off the gas - it annoys the hell out of me when an auto box upshifts as I lift off.

I regularly see MT drivers make comments such as "you just push down your right foot and the transmission does all the rest". If that's how you drive a DCT M4 then you probably deserve a ZF transmission ;-)
Exactly, I agree with every word. I had the M3 E46 with SMG II, M3 E92 with DCT and now M3 with DCT and I drive in manual mode all the time, don't care for the automatic mode, exactly for the reasons you've described here.
Appreciate 1