2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [0.00]
2005(sold but not f ...  [10.00]
2006 X3  [0.00]
1984 633csi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDavid View Post
I'm not sure why the decision was made, but perhaps it has to do with production constraints and/ or wanting to keep M styling limited to a certain palette. This has been going on for quite some time.

When what I call the original M sport was introduced in 3/03 with the ZHP on the non-M e46, you could order it in what was back then an M exclusive color, Imola Red and were limited to Silver Grey, Alpine White, Black Sapphire Metallic, and I think Orient Blue was the dark blue back then.
That was the case in all other markets since late 2000, when the M Sport packet - in some markets, sold as a separate "Sport" vehicle - notably without the M - was made available for the E46, roughly coinciding with the E46 M3 which debuted in late 2000 (AD, that is). Gloss Black, Topaz Blue and Steel Grey were also available in addition to the colours listed above.

Specifying the M Sport bodykit has always limited the colour palette; I'm not aware of any BMW series which allowed the kit to be factory-fitted in all colours. As dealer-fit or aftermarket, then of course.

It's a shame, as today the 2 series also misses out on some nice colours when you specify the M Sport trim, as you have to depending on which engine you want (UK trim/engine choices are more limited than other markets, due to market conservatism and focus on corporate/enterprise lease value retention).
Great intel. Thanks!