01-10-2019, 09:52 AM   #40
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBMWBrian View Post
They are definitely available in the US market. There were recent developments in DOT regulations allowing further implementation of laser headlights. The G05 X5 and G15 8 Series also have them in the US market, but the lasers are just powered down a little compared to the European market.

On coding, what people are talking about is enabling the selective beam operation, also known as light tunnel. We can have automatic high beams in the US, but the function where the headlights angle themselves side to side to allow the high beams to remain on but pointing around oncoming cars is turned off. For this to be coded in, the headlights have to be adaptive and have auto high beam functionality from the factory.
There is one small wrinkle to this. For the 2017+ 3-series, BMW removed the active shutters from the headlight modules that is required to ensure the anti-glare portion of this functionality works properly. If you have a 2016 or earlier 3 series with the Adaptive LEDs you can code the european highbeam stuff to work (and avoid glaring other drivers). 2017+, no dice. Yeah, the swiveling and such will work right, but you'll blind anyone in front of you or oncoming.

Also, until the headlights are actually tested, we don't know if the laser lights really offer any benefit (other than looking cool). I'll assume that they will offer better overall visibility, but we need to wait and see.

Here's the link to the IIHS headlight testing on the 2018 3-series sedan. The LEDs are noticeably superior to the lousy base (which I think are LEDS on 2017/2018 models too):

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...s-4-door-sedan
Click the "Headlights" section on the left of the screen to see.

However, LEDS aren't always noticeably superior to even the older Xenon (or HID) lights we had. Check the testing results for the X5.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve.../x5-4-door-suv

Again, click the "Headlights" link.

This is why I didn't spec the LEDs on my 2016 X5. The LED low beams are slightly better than the Xenon on the driver's side but noticeably poorer on the passenger side. Plus the Xenon high beams are noticeably better in all directions. Given that I live in primo deer country, high beam power/distance is very important to me.

I know everyone digs the look of the new lights but I'd make sure they actual perform better before spending more money on them.
Appreciate 1