View Single Post
      01-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #30
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

This was expected to me, considering the cyclical and generational turnover...and to add to that, BMW has never been great at marketing to younger people like Audi & Mercedes. Hence, the seemingly forced and recent releases of vehicles marketed to younger audiences such as the X2 and 2 series variants.

Remember the 80s "young-wealth" explosion when younger people wanted to NOT be like their moms and dads and find their own individualism in BMW convertibles and coupes? Well, the turn has been in full-swing ever since. Those buyers are now older and their children would rather drive Audi's and Mercedes & perhaps even Lexus. It makes complete sense from a cultural stand point.

These car companies spend a lot of money internally to anticipate these cultural rifts years ahead of time and try to come up diverse products that don't lose too much heralded tradition for the core former buyers and enthusiasts while trying to anticipate what the young and aspirational buyer will look for in this segment that is viably meaningful and culturally fashionable in the future.

I believe BMW will be back on top in due time based on these patterns & cycles but, if you ask me, Mercedes currently has much more exciting and dynamic products & are leading the way at the moment.