06-06-2020, 04:35 PM   #12
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I suspect BMW’s reason to offer M-Xdrive for the G8X has close to nothing to do with winter practicality and everything to do with performance. I suspect that once the numbers are out many RWD fans will cave in to the allure of the much faster car and that the take rate will be above 50% for AWD.

Once you actually have the pen in your hand ready to sign, much faster or not...hmmm.

The hardcore MT crowd will not care. MT or death.
I kind of agree with that, and I'm one of those who want the faster car!

I was a manual guy years ago and enjoyed my manual BMWs up to and including my 2007 Z4M Coupe which was arguably the most fun BMWs at the time. Then I tried the ZF8 in my current F30 335i and it's good enough as an auto for a daily driver, even when I was pushing close to 400whp and over 470wtq it performed well.

Driving my modded 335 and test driving an F80 M3 convinced me that RWD has its limitations when straight line performance is important to you. A big part of enjoying a fast car for me is being able to take off fast at a light & the ability to go to the twisty roads and have some fun.

So now I'm considering a G80 M3 auto & AWD and I'm sure it'll deliver what it takes to keep me happy for many years.
Appreciate 0